Most UnitedHealthcare insurance plans provide some coverage for drug and alcohol treatment. Adelante Recovery Center accepts UnitedHealthcare PPO plans, which may cover part or all of your residential inpatient treatment costs at our Orange County drug and alcohol rehab center.
UnitedHealthcare is a division of UnitedHealth Group, one of the largest health insurance providers in the world. The Minnesota-based company partners with more than 1.3 million physicians and 6,500 hospitals and care facilities nationwide. UnitedHealthcare currently participates in programs in dozens of states and has plans to expand into seven new states in 2022.
UnitedHealthcare Coverage Levels and Plans
UnitedHealthcare offers several types of plans, which allow members to prioritize what’s most important to them—for example, keeping costs down or the freedom to choose any doctor.
Here are some of the plans they offer:
UnitedHealthcare Select is an exclusive provider organization (EPO) with no coverage for out-of-network providers. This means you must see the healthcare providers within the network. EPO plans are designed to keep costs contained.
UnitedHealthcare Select Plus is a preferred provider organization (PPO). PPO plans allow you to choose your own doctors. You don’t have to choose a primary care provider (PCP) or get referrals to specialists.
UnitedHealthcare Choice is an HMO-type plan with access to specialists.
UnitedHealthcare Choice Plus is an HMO, but it also allows you to get care out-of-network.
UnitedHealthcare Navigate, Charter, and Compass require a primary care provider (PCP) referral to see a specialist, meaning that they are more restrictive managed care plans, similar to point of service plans.
How to Check Your Insurance Benefits
If you’re not sure what your UnitedHealthcare plan covers, get in touch with the team at Adelante Recovery Center. You can also contact your insurance company directly to find out what’s covered.
Log in to your account online to check your benefits or call the number on the back of your insurance card. Here are some questions to ask when you call:
- Do you cover substance abuse assessment?
- Do you cover detox services? How many days?
- Do you cover outpatient rehab?
- Do you cover inpatient rehab?
- How many days of rehab do you cover?
- Which programs in my area accept UnitedHealthcare?
Knowing what your insurance plan covers before you enter a rehab program will give you greater peace of mind, so you can focus completely on treatment.
Which Types of Rehab Programs Does UnitedHealthcare Cover?
No two people will need exactly the same level of care in rehab. Here are some of the different rehab programs UnitedHealthcare may cover:
- Detoxification is a medically supervised process to rid the body of substances, enabling you to start a treatment program. People with moderate to severe addictions usually need detox.
- Outpatient treatment is a flexible treatment program that allows you to live at home while attending treatment meetings several days a week.
- Partial hospitalization, also called day treatment, is an intermediate option that provides more intensive care during the day but allows you to live at home.
- Residential inpatient treatment provides round-the-clock care and monitoring. You live at the rehab facility and attend daily treatment sessions. These programs usually last for a minimum of 30 days.
Talk with your doctor or an addiction specialist about which type of treatment is best for you, then call UnitedHealthcare to find out which treatment options they cover.
Marketplace Plans (Affordable Care Act)
Substance use disorders are considered one of 10 essential health benefits under the Affordable Care Act (ACA). This means that all health insurance plans sold on the Health Insurance Exchanges (healthcare.gov) or provided by Medicaid to certain newly eligible adults must include services for substance use disorders.
Specifically, all ACA plans must cover:
- Substance use disorder (SUD) treatment
- Behavioral health treatment (psychotherapy and counseling)
- Mental health inpatient services
If you enrolled in a plan through your state’s marketplace (e.g., Covered California) or the federal marketplace (healthcare.gov), your plan must cover at least some of the cost of these services.
What If UnitedHealthcare Won’t Cover All of My Treatment Costs?
If your policy doesn’t cover the entire cost of rehab, there are alternative ways to finance your treatment, including:
- Payment plans that allow you to pay in monthly installments
- Sliding scale fees that allow you to pay what you can, based on your income level
- Grants or scholarships through the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) or participating rehab centers
- Healthcare loan or credit card
- Savings, or a money loan or gift from trusted family members
Adelante believes treatment costs should never prevent a person from getting the help they need. If your plan doesn’t cover the total cost of rehab or if you don’t have insurance, we offer alternative payment options. Contact us to learn more.
Get Help Now
Adelante Recovery Center offers comprehensive drug and alcohol rehab programs at our Orange County drug treatment center in Corona del Mar. Our residential inpatient programs are designed for people with more severe addictions who need close monitoring and round-the-clock care.
Individual counseling, group therapy, and family therapy form the core of our inpatient residential programs, but we take each client’s needs into consideration. We will create a personalized treatment plan just for you.
If you’re concerned about a loved one or you’re ready to begin a substance abuse treatment program, contact our administrative team to find out about coverage for rehab with UnitedHealthcare. Help is just a phone call away.